Typography is one of the most important part in web design. If you are into minimal design, you know you can create awesome websites with just a background, some HTML5/CSS3 and lots of focus on typography. Fonts that you on your sites can make them look pretty or ugly. So proper rendering of fonts is critical for a beautiful website.
Typeplate is a “typographic starter kit” which helps you design aesthetic websites by defining proper markup with extensible styling for common typographic patterns.
What all does Typeplate focus on?
A few things that are core to Typeplate include:
1. Base Type: Its base uses the font settings on
HTML elements to standardize the typographic scale in a consistent manner. It follows recommedations of Eric Meyer.
2. Typographic scale: Instead of using random font sizes for different headings, Typeplate uses a type hierarchy that is harmonious and consistent.
3. Word wrap: It also checks a few things like the longest word in the world “Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginylisoleucine” and other stuff such as long hyperlinks.
4. Indenting: Browsers don’t indent paragraphs as books or print designers do with text. If you want to indent paragraphs, Typeplate makes it pretty easy to use.
5. Drop caps: A drop cap make your text-based design stand out. With this typography starter kit, you can use this technique that has been around for ages.
These are just a few options that are available with Typeplate. There is a whole lot more to make your typography look awesome and take your website to a higher plane. You can check out the live demo page.